Just taking a quick walk around your home, you’re bound to see a number of home improvement projects you’d like to tackle. From bathroom tiles to kitchen cabinets, after several years of wear and tear – especially with kids around the house – they are soon ready for refurbishing or replacing altogether.
Taking a stroll around the outside of your house, you’re going to have a similar experience. We all know that it only takes a couple of nasty winters before you’re considering a new paint job or some staining and protecting for the wood of a deck. At the same time, your landscaping could always be improved, while the kids may have outgrown their swings. Any way you think about it, you should think about the exterior while the weather is tolerable, as you’ll undoubtedly be focused indoors in the winter months. Here are five exterior projects to tackle before the deep freeze sets in.
1. Landscaping. In the months when the weather is nice, you’ll find you aren’t so reluctant to jump in the car and go for a drive. As you’re pulling into your driveway, make the landscaping checks. Does your home have the adequate greenery? Doing a bit of gardening and planting is great in the warm weather, so make you assessment while the fair weather continues.
2. Window replacement. When your window frames are rusting and the oxidation has become visible, it’s an eyesore for everyone, even at the rear of your home. Chances are, if a window has fallen into such disrepair, it has become a burden on your energy costs as well. Window replacement could spell an attractive new look and mean lower prices when your energy bill arrives every month.
3. New doors. Looking over the state of your front door, remember that it is not only an aesthetic concern but a security concern as well. The knobs on your outer doors can be a place for visual upgrades, as well as the color scheme with the paint job, while with the interior you should focus mainly on the invulnerability of the locks.
4. Siding. Every now and again, you have probably seen an area where the paint has begun to chip away. Are you ready for the painting experience yet again? Climbing up on the ladder and engaging in that ritual can become a wearisome process over time. One way to say goodbye to paintbrushes forever is by opting for vinyl siding. You’ll cut out maintenance and have an attractive look without spending a fortune.
5. Deck renovations. One of the most enjoyable places during the warm weather months is the patio or deck of your home. Keep an eye for any spots where the wood has started to deteriorate. Take care of your staining project early, so you’ll have the bulk of the spring and summer to enjoy it.